Gum disease is one of the most common problems faced by numerous people all across the world. In this blog, we are going to discuss the 3 three different stages of gum diseases and also throw some light on the symptoms of gum problems. Therefore, if you have any query related to this topic. Do go through the sections below for a diligent read.
Before delving into the matter, let us talk about what gum disease actually is. It can be defined as an inflammation of the gums that can ultimately lead to affecting the bone which surrounds your teeth. It can be caused due to several reasons including the growth of infection-causing bacteria. Gum infections though can seem a minor issue, in the beginning, it can be your sleep buster in the days to come if ignored.
Stages of Gum Disease
Gum disease can be divided or categorized into three different stages. They are:
- Gingivitis – This is the first stage of gum disease. Gingivitis is caused by the buildup of plaque at the gum line. Not removing the plaque with the help of brushing and flossing on a regular basis produces toxins that can cause damage to the gum tissues and lead to gingivitis. You should know that gingivitis can be cured by being a bit careful and adopting a few measures of maintaining oral hygiene.
- Periodontitis – This stage marks the damage caused to the supporting bone and fibers that hold your teeth. A pocket is formed below the gum line that traps plaque and remnant food particles. It is advisable to undergo quality gum treatment at a professional dental clinic nearby to get rid of such a problem. You are also required to take proper home care to restrict any further damage.
- Advanced Periodontitis – It is the final stage of gum disease. The fibers supporting the teeth are completely destroyed and ultimately lead to loss of teeth. Advanced periodontitis can have a negative impact on your bite’s alignment due to loss of teeth.
Signs of a Gum Disease
Some of the early signs of gum disease are being mentioned in the pointers below:
- Tender and swollen gums
- Reddish gums
- Bleeding from gums during brushing or flossing
- Receding gum line
- Creation of pocket just below the gum line
- Change in the bite alignment
- Pus coming out from the teeth and gums
- Suffering from bad breath and taste
In case you face any of the above-mentioned symptoms, do consult a dentist immediately. Always remember that one should never compromise when it comes down to your health. An in-person consultation with a dentist will help you clarify all queries related to your gums. Be it gathering facts related to gums or knowing about stages of gum infection, we are here to help you out.
If you are looking for the best dentists in Berwyn, IL, contact Berwyn Dental Connection today. We offer excellent dental treatments that will help you to ensure the well-being of your smile. Book your appointment today.